Growing up in a small conservative community, I was taught that homelessness was the result of bad decisions. Circumstances or hard times may have contributed to a person's homelessness, but ultimately, it was choice. After doing research and "broadening my horizon", I would have to disagree with my upbringing. Homelessness could be the result of a layoff or huge credit card debit or student loans. Homelessness could be a choice (http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/). Homelessness could be the result of mindset and a vicious cycle. And that is what I would argue. It's mindset. A good percentage of the homeless may be victims of mindset. They could have been raised in poverty and it's the only thing they know. They could have fallen on hard times, wanted to pick themselves up, and just never had the opportunity. And once you've been down for a while, it's much more difficult to have the desire and want to "pick yourself up by your own bootstraps". Hence, my theory of the vicious cycle.
Thursday, February 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I liked your blog. Your posts are very interesting showing your inner voice. Happy blogging.
Post a Comment