Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Multi-Ethnic" chapel

A friend of mine asked me to read her thoughts before she posted them on the Wittenburg door at our small Christian school. I thought they were really good and want to share them with you:

I am writing to express my opinion about Chapel Service on Monday, February 12th, 2007. The description of this chapel in the given chapel guide was “Unity within Community: Faculty Perspective”. I believe the faculty and staff chosen by the Multi-Ethnic Services poorly represented the diversity of our campus. The faculty/staff presented in the following order: Professor Beth, Professor Derrick, Dr. Christian, and Professor Theodore. If we look closely at this selection, the racial demographics are as follows (and in this order of appearance): Caucasian-American female, African male, Caucasian-American male, and Black-American male.

The question that came to my mind was: Is this campus just black and white? And I pondered carefully, and the answer is: NO. There are students who can be represented by faculty and staff who are not Caucasian-American or Black-American. Here are just a few examples and the cultures they represent:
Professor R...........Finland
Professor M..........Spain
Professor W..........China
Professor M..........Romania
Professor S...........Indonesia
Krista W................Hawaii

Each of these faculty and staff has a story to tell, and they are neither Black-American nor Caucasian-American. They are from Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Islands.

This week, we are to “celebrate” unity within community. I urge you that it is not a white versus black issue. This is a campus full of life, of many different people, of different countries, and states within the United States. Skin color does not define culture. For an example: some people are from different countries but do not have that stereotypical appearance. Today's chapel, of a faculty/staff perspective, should have fully represented the diversity of the student body.

I urge you to look beyond skin color and ethnic background, for these two elements are not everything. I urge you to pay closer attention to the way people are inside, not outside. The old saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover” applies in this situation and we can apply it [here]: “Don’t judge a person by their skin or ethnic background.”

I urge you to get to know other students, faculty or staff on this campus who are seemingly different than you. Look into their hearts. Look to understand what they think and feel and why they think and feel that way.

Here at ******, we have the privilege of experiencing a slice of God’s unique diversity through the many professors, faculty, staff and students represented. Unity within Community is about everybody, no matter where you are from. Every culture and race should be represented.

No comments: