Friday, March 9, 2007

Just Like Me

Last night, I attended a Soulforce event in the area. We had pizza, hung out, and were able to attend an informational "seminar" entitled In God's Image. It was an enjoyable evening and I had a good time getting to know the different riders. They are a talented group of thinkers, students, writers, and singers.

When I finally returned to my apartment building, there was a sign hanging outside the door and I just had to chuckle. My small school had held their own events pertaining to the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual) community. And I continue to chuckle. Because try as they might, my little conservative school only presents this group from one side, their narrow-minded side. And I guess that is their right as a church-affiliated institution, but it does a disservice to students and continues to widen the gap between the church and the LGBT community, which is really a shame.

No comments: